Havengore Bridge: Closed to marine traffic (05.06.19)
While investigating an intermittent electrical fault that occurred during the test lift yesterday, a severe hydraulic oil leak was discovered where a seal has failed on a cylinder. Shoeburyness Range are waiting confirmation of when their specialist hydraulic contractors will be attending site for further assessment.
If you are thinking of sailing in the area of Maplin/Foulness Sands (which surround the live firing Range at MOD Shoeburyness), and intend to use Havengore Passage to reach the inner waterways of the River Crouch/River Roach, we strongly advise you to become familiar with the restrictions on passing Havengore Bridge.
The following information will assist you to plan a successful route:
- Havengore Bridge can only be used when the MOD Shoeburyness Range is NOT ACTIVE;
- The MOD Shoeburyness Range is normally active Monday to Thursday from 06:00 to 16:30 and Friday 06:00 to 12:30. The “ACTIVE” status of the Range is signalled by the flying of a RED FLAG on the bridge and at intervals around the perimeter of the site. Please note, Range operational hours are subject to change without prior notification and the MOD/QQ reserves the right to operate earlier/later and at weekends.
- The bridge is staffed 2 hours either side of high tide, during daylight hours, 365 days a year;
- If you wish to plan your journey in advance and would like advice from the Range about using the bridge on a particular day, please contact “Shoe Radar” on 01702 383311 or VHF Channels 16 or 72 (when the Range is active) or email us at QQSHBEnquiries@qinetiq.com. Please be aware that information supplied in advance is subject to change;
- If you wish to receive ‘on the day’ advice, you can contact the Bridge Keeper on 01702 383436 or VHF Channel 72 (when the bridge is staffed as described above);
Further information on the MOD Byelaws can be found on their website at www.shoeburyness.qinetiq.com