If you are thinking of sailing in the area of Maplin/Foulness Sands (which surround the live firing Range at MOD Shoeburyness), and intend to use Havengore Passage to reach the inner waterways of the River Crouch/River Roach, we strongly advise you to become familiar with the restrictions on passing Havengore Bridge.
The following information will assist you to plan a successful route:
- Havengore Bridge can only be used when the MOD Shoeburyness Range is NOT ACTIVE;
- The MOD Shoeburyness Range is normally active Monday to Thursday from 06:00 to 16:30 and Friday 06:00 to 12:30. The “ACTIVE” status of the Range is signalled by the flying of a RED FLAG on the bridge and at intervals around the perimeter of the site. Please note, Range operational hours are subject to change without prior notification and the MOD/QQ reserves the right to operate earlier/later and at weekends.
- The bridge is staffed 2 hours either side of high tide, during daylight hours, 365 days a year;
- If you wish to plan your journey in advance and would like advice from the Range about using the bridge on a particular day, please contact “Shoe Radar” on 01702 383311 or VHF Channels 16 or 72 (when the Range is active) or email us at QQSHBEnquiries@qinetiq.com. Please be aware that information supplied in advance is subject to change;
- If you wish to receive ‘on the day’ advice, you can contact the Bridge Keeper on 01702 383436 or VHF Channel 72 (when the bridge is staffed as described above). For General Advice telephone the Careline Number 0800 0560108
Further information on the MOD Byelaws can be found on their website at www.shoeburyness.qinetiq.com