Harbour Dues charged pursuant to S.26 of Harbours Act 1964 & S.54 of Crouch Harbour Act 1974.

Harbour Dues are payable on all vessels afloat on the rivers Crouch and Roach including off-river and mid-river marinas, basins, creeks, saltings, private land and mud berths and the requirements for display of Harbour Dues Plaque apply (Crouch Harbour Act 1974, s.55).

The Harbour Dues charge is based on the length of the vessel which is measured on deck from stem to stern. Include any fixed bathing platform and any fiddlehead. Exclude bowsprits, bumkins, stern davits and external rudders.

All vessels that are afloat within the CHA District must pay Harbour Dues. This fee is SEPARATE and UNRELATED to charges made by the Marina, Mooring & Boatyard Operators for berth hire/mooring (long or short term).

Anyone wishing to tow water toys such as ‘bananas’ and ‘donuts must apply for a Ski Licence.

The revenue derived from Harbour Dues is used by the CHA to meet the cost of the management of the harbour including but not restricted to:

  • Giving advice and assistance
  • Maintaining navigation aids and marks
  • Seasonal patrolling
  • Publishing and distributing tide tables and Notices to Mariners both in hard copy and via website
  • Enforcement of Byelaws
  • Providing information in regard to commercial traffic movements

Annual Harbour Dues (inc. VAT)
The Harbour Dues Year runs from 1st January to 31st December. Harbour Dues are payable for the whole of a Harbour Dues Year and cannot be paid for part of a Harbour Dues Year. Harbour Dues become payable when the vessel is first launched/afloat during the year and the payment/Harbour Dues plaque expires on 31st December.

Early Payment:

1st January to 31st March 2021.
N.B. The Early Payment rate has been extended to run until 30th April 2021.

After 31st March the full Annual Harbour Dues apply:
It is a condition of the Early Payment that the issued Harbour Dues Plaque is displayed on the vessel and is visible at all times. (Not behind covers please.)

Harbour Due Plaques are not transferrable from one vessel to another.

The CHA recommend that it is good practice to make sure that your vessel is insured covering public liability of at least £3,000,000, including exempt vessels.

If you do not intend to launch this year, have left the river or have sold/purchased a new boat it is important that you notify us.

Please be aware that regular boat inspections are carried out throughout the year by Harbour Staff in regard to payment of Harbour Dues which apply to all vessels afloat within the Rivers Crouch and Roach. Please ensure that your current Harbour Dues Plaque is displayed on your vessel where it can always be seen. Owners are requested to ensure that the vessel name is displayed on either the bow or stern.
Vessels not displaying a plaque will be deemed not to have paid Harbour Dues. (Crouch Harbour Act 1974 S.56)

Penalty Charge for Non-payment of Harbour Dues
Failure to pay after written reminder will result in a Court Summons being issued for three times the full Annual Harbour Dues rate, recoverable as civil debt, plus costs (Crouch Harbour Act 1974 S.58). The Authority also has the right to distrain (seize) vessels and/or equipment. NB: If you have not notified the Crouch Harbour Authority of a change of ownership the registered keeper is still liable to pay the Harbour Dues.

Static House Boats

To Qualify the following Documents must be provided:

  • Proof that the owner/titleholder of the berth is aware of the ‘liveaboard’ status of the vessel.
  • Proof that the owner/title holder of the berth has obtained residential status from the relevant owner for the berth that the vessel occupies.

That the vessel does not undertake any voyage away from the berth other than:
1) To a repair, maintenance or dry-dock facility in which case the following will apply.

  • The owner will be required to inform the Crouch Harbour Authority of his intention to move.
  • Provide insurance documentation for the intended voyage
  • Provide RAMS [If applicable] for intended voyage
  • Comply with pilotage regulations if applicable
  • If tug assistance required use CHA approved contractor.

2) To an alternative designated residential berth.
*Should the owner of the vessel move their boat without notifying the Crouch Harbour Authority or shift to an alternative berth that does not have the relevant permissions then said vessel’s Static Houseboat status will be immediately revoked and Harbour Dues appropriate to the apposite length based tariff will become immediately payable for that current harbour dues year.
Application to be reinstated would not be considered until the following year.

To apply please download Static House-Boat Application Form

Commercial Fishing Vessels

Commercial Fishing Vessels used within the Crouch Harbour Authority District must submit copies of their Public Liability Insurance.