The right to lay and use a mooring within the CHA District depends upon:

  • The permission of the owner of land where the mooring is to be placed
  • Neither the CHA nor HMHA take any responsibility whatsoever for the vessel or mooring, which is the responsibility of the mooring holder
  • The mooring tackle must be checked as fit for purpose at the start of the season
  • Once laid the mooring is not to be moved from its geographical position
  • If mooring moves through “dragging” then returning it to original designated position will be at Licence holders expense
  • Accept that the distance between moorings is so calculated as to provide best opportunity for clear swinging room for vessels authorised to occupy them under normal circumstances. However, where wind, tide or meteological conditions cause vessels to come in contact with another craft or mud bank, the licence holder agrees to indemnify the CHA against all claims for damage so caused
  • Sinkers, chains and buoys shall be of an approved standard and be installed in accordance and to the satisfaction of HMHA and CHA
  • It is recommended that a nylon rope is attached from the ground tackle through the riser chain to the swivel as a safeguard to the mooring chain
  • The mooring buoy must have the mooring reference and boat name displayed
  • Your moored boat must be in a seaworthy condition and be insured at all times
  • Mooring not to be operated for commercial/trade purposes
  • No other vessel permitted to use mooring without permission from HMHA and CHA
  • CHA not responsible for any loss or damage to vessel so caused
  • Notify HMHA and CHA of any changes of ownership, name, colour, registration etc.
  • Any change in boat should be in consultation with HMHA and CHA as to the allocated mooring area
  • The moored boat must display a current CHA Plaque
  • The mooring holder shall not transfer the mooring to another person without permission from HMHA and CHA
  • Waste Disposal: The vessel owner is responsible for ensuring that all waste/garbage is taken ashore for disposal at an authorized facility and is not allowed to enter the marine environment. Vessels observed disposing of waste into the marine environment should be reported to the Harbour Master using the “Garbage Disposal Complaints Form” available on the CHA website

CHA may terminate a Mooring Licence immediately for breach of licence conditions.

A licence to lay a mooring is a bare licence and is not assigned property rights.

The CHA does not own the mooring tackle, these moorings should be referred to as “Private Tackle Moorings” (PTM). These Private Tackle Mooring Licences are subject to annual renewal.

These PTM may only be used by vessels registered with the CHA and are not transferable.